Trackpad click button is jammed
DVD Drive spins up but doesn't read disc, then ejects disc
battery shows "X" and is not recognized
Fan comes on when viewing web video or flash
- Cameras (1)
- Case Components (15)
- Display Components (1)
- Fans (1)
- Heat Sinks (1)
- Keyboards (2)
- Kits (2)
- MagSafe Boards (1)
- Motherboards (2)
- Optical Drives (2)
- Ports (3)
- Power Adapters (1)
- RAM (2)
- Screens (2)
Track down a number of hardware problems using the MacBook troubleshooting guide.
You can cost-effectively upgrade a number of components in the MacBook Core Duo.
- Memory: MacBook Core Duos come with 512 MB standard. If your MacBook is still running with only the stock RAM, upgrading will provide a dramatic performance boost. Upgrading to the maximum of 2 GB can be done very easily by installing two 1 GB RAM chips.
- Hard Drive: 60 or 80 GB SATA hard drives came standard with the MacBook Core Duo. You can upgrade all the way up to a 750 GB hard drive.
- Battery: Replacing the battery requires a coin or a flat-edge tool release the battery latch. The battery can be replaced in less than 30 seconds.
- Optical Drive: The standard optical drive shipped with MacBooks is either a Combo Drive or a 4x or 6x SuperDrive. The optical drive can easily be upgraded to an 8x SuperDrive.
- AirPort: The MacBook Core Duo shipped with an 802.11g AirPort card, but the stock card can be replaced with an 802.11n AirPort card.
Background and Identification
The MacBook Core Duo is the only MacBook with an Intel Core Duo processor (later MacBooks use Core 2 Duo processors). If your MacBook turns on, you can verify that you have a Core Duo MacBook by checking the processor information through "About This Mac" in the Apple menu.
Use the [/info/ID-your-Mac|laptop identification system] to help you identify your machine. MacBooks tend to look very similar, and it's important to know which machine you have before ordering any replacement parts.
Apple shipped the MacBook in two colors: basic white, and optional (and more expensive) black. Two other precedents were also set by the MacBook Core Duo: Apple included a new built-in iSight web camera, and the laptops included MagSafe power connectors.
The MacBook Core Duo was replaced six months later by the MacBook Core 2 Duo, which offered a better processor, improved AirPort, and a larger maximum RAM capacity.
- 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy widescreen TFT display with support for millions of colors
- 60GB, 80GB, 100GB or 120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
One of the following optical drives:
- Slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW): reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed
- Slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer read support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW): writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed
- 1.83GHz or 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB on-chip shared L2 cache
- 512MB or 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two SO-DIMMs
- Built-in 802.11g Wi-Fi AirPort Extreme wireless networking
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless technology
Graphics and Video:
- Intel GMA 950 graphics processor
- Built-in iSight camera with 640-by-480-pixel resolution
- Mini-DVI port
- One FireWire 400 port (up to 400 Mbps)
- Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in omnidirectional microphone
- Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
- Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)
Battery and power:
- 55-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery with integrated charge indicator LEDs
- 60W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
- MagSafe power adapter port
In the Box:
- Apple Remote
- 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug and power cord
- Lithium-polymer battery
- Install/restore DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation
- Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)
- Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
- Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)
- Weight: 5.2 pounds (2.36 kg)