Mazda 323 BG Dashboard Replacement
Why is my cooling fan not kicking on?
How to replace waterpump?
emergency brake not working
Background and Identification
The Mazda Familia, also marketed as the Mazda 323 and Mazda Protegé, is a small family car produced by Mazda between 1963 and 2003. The Mazda Familia line was replaced by the Mazda3/Axela for the 2004 model year. The Mazda Protegé was sold as the Familia in Japan, but earlier models for export were sold with nameplates including “800,” “1000,” “1200,” and “1300.” In North America, the 1200 model was replaced by the Mazda GLC, and newer models became the “323” and the “Protegé.” In Europe, all Familia vehicles sold after 1977 included “323” nameplates. In Asia, Oceania, Southern Africa, and some Latin American countries, the Familia was rebranded as the Ford Laser and Ford Meteor. In North America, it was rebranded as the Ford Escort and Mercury Tracer starting in 1991.
The fifth generation of the Mazda Protegé was released in January 1985. It was sold as a three- or five-door hatchback or a four-door sedan in 1985. Wagon and cabriolet models were added in late 1985 and March 1986, respectively.
Mazda vehicles can be identified by the Mazda emblem, which depicts a pair of wings in the shape of a ‘V’ inside of an oval, and the Mazda logo, which portrays the name “Mazda” in lower-case letters.
- Also called:
- Mazda 323
- Ford Tonic
- Sao Penza
- 1985–1989 (hatchback, sedan, cabriolet, and pick-up)
- 1985-1994 (wagon)
- 1986–2004 (Colombia)
Body and chassis:
- Body style:
- 2-door convertible
- 3/5-door hatchback
- 4-door sedan
- 5-door wagon
- 2-door coupé utility (South Africa)
- Front-engine, front-wheel-drive
- Front-engine, all-wheel-drive
- Platform: Mazda BF platform
- 1.3 L E3 I4
- 1.5 L E5 I4
- 1.5 L E5 Turbo I4
- 1.6 L B6 I4
- 1.6 L B6T turbo I4
- 1.7 L PN diesel I4
- 3-speed Mazda F3A automatic
- 4-speed manual
- 5-speed manual
- Wheelbase: 2,400 mm (94.5 in)
- Hatchback: 4,110 mm (161.8 in)
- Sedan/wagon: 4,310 mm (169.7 in)
- Width: 1,645 mm (64.8 in)
- Sedan/hatchback: 1,390 mm (54.7 in)
- Wagon: 1,430 mm (56.3 in)
- Curb weight: 936 kg (2,064 lb)