will not power on
when pressing the power button nothing happens. The pc is receiving power.
This is a well documented prob with this series of notebooks and if you do a search on the Internet you'll find lots and lots of unhappy and frustrated people. The problem is the motherboard, and the symptoms include loss of bootup, VERY slow bootup, WiFi stops working, etc. is simply that the MOBO board overheats and fries the video driver chip. The cooling design of this PC is inadequate.
You might try this to verify.
1. Take the battery out and unplug the charger
2. With the computer lights OFF, press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds
3. Plug the charger back in and start-up the computer
to fix the problem you will have to either reflow the graphics chip, which may or may not work. Best would be a complete reball.
Remove power connection, remove battery, replace battery and try again. Might fix your problem by now.
IF NOT FIXED YET:
If it tries to turn on but keeps cycling in 3-10 second reboot intervals, turns on for 3 seconds then reboots and does it over and over again. 'CHECK 1' again then. 'CHECK 2'.
As you hit the power button, after having done 'CHECK 1', hit escape a couple times this should force a boot under any condition.
Are you asking about HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook?
1. Could be memory failure. Try removing memory one by one.
2. If it's not bad memory, most likely this is known GPU failure.
You can try fixing (temporarily) the GPU problem using this trick: