Background and Identification
The Volvo XC90 is a mid-size luxury crossover SUV (sport utility vehicle) produced by Volvo Cars since 2002. The first generation of the XC90 was introduced in 2002 and used the Volvo P2 platform shared with the first-generation Volvo S80, another large Volvo automobile. At the end of the first generation, Volvo renamed the Volvo XC90 to the Volvo XC Classic or Volvo XC90 Classic.
In its debut, the first-generation Volvo XC90 was awarded Motor Trend’s SUV of the Year and the North American Car of the Year. The XC90 was Volvo’s first SUV model. It was launched in North America in 2003 with two trim levels, the 2.5 T and the T6. The 2.5 T trim level was the entry-level model and included a 2.5-liter “T5” turbocharged inline-five engine. The 2.5 T’s engine produced 208 horsepower and 236 foot-pounds of torque and was mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. The 2.5 T trim level came standard with front-wheel drive, but an all-wheel-drive system was available. The T6 trim included a 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged inline-six engine with 268 horsepower and 280 foot-pounds of torque. The T6 level included a four-speed automatic transmission. The T6 trim level was only available with the all-wheel-drive system.
In 2005, a V8 engine was added to the XC90, and over 40,000 units were sold in North America that year.
Volvo vehicles can be identified by the Volvo emblem, which portrays the name “Volvo” in all capital letters inside a circle with an arrow pointing to the Northwest.
Body and Chassis:
- Class: Mid-size luxury crossover SUV
- Body Style: 5-door SUV
- Layout: Front-engine front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive
- Platform: Volvo P2 platform
- 2.5 L B5254T2 turbocharged I5
- 3.0 L B6294T twin-turbocharged I6
- 3.2 L SI6 I6
- 4.4 L B8444S V8
- 2.4 L D5244T4 turbodiesel I5
- 2.4 L D5244T5 turbodiesel I5
- 6-speed Volvo M66 manual
- 4-speed GM 4T65 AWD automatic
- 5-speed Aisin AW55-50/51SN automatic
- 6-speed Aisin TF-80SC automatic
- 2003–2004 & 2007–2016: 2,857 mm (112.5 in)
- 2005–2006: 2,859 mm (112.6 in)
- 2003–2006: 4,821 mm (189.8 in)
- 2007–2016: 4,807 mm (189.3 in)
- 2003–2012: 1,909 mm (75.2 in)
- 2013–2016: 1,935 mm (76.2 in)
- Height: 1,784 mm (70.2 in)
- Curb Weight: 2,020–2,160 kg (4,450–4,760 lb)