Background and Identification
The Nikon D3X is a 24.4-megapixel professional-grade full-frame digital single-lens reflex camera (DSLR) released by the Nikon Corporation in December 2008. The D3X is the third camera in Nikon’s camera line to include a full-frame sensor (the other two with full-frame sensors are the D3 and D700). Compared to the Nikon D3S (Nikon’s high-speed professional model), the D3X features an increase in resolution and image detail.
The Nikon D3X includes most of the same features as the D3S, including robust weather-sealed alloy-body construction and a built-in vertical grip. It also includes Nikon’s EXPEED image processor that features automatic correction of lateral chromatic aberration, vignetting (“vignette control”), lens distortion, and image rotation via they “retouch” menu. The D3X also features 5:4 aspect ratio cropping.
The D3X produces high-quality images with high resolution and the option of 14-bit per channel recording and a sharp anti-aliasing filter. The camera features superior dynamic range and color accuracy compared with that of other 35mm-format digital cameras.
The name “Nikon” is printed in white font at the top of the camera’s front face above the lens, and the model name “D3X” is printed next to the buttons located on the left side of the camera’s face.
Type: Digital single-lens reflex
Lens: Interchangeable, Nikon F-mount
- Sensor: 35.9 mm × 24 mm CMOS, Nikon FX-format, 5.95µm pixel size
- Maximum resolution: 6048 × 4032 pixels (24.4 megapixels)
- Film speed: ISO equivalency 100 to 1600 in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps, Boost: 50–6400 in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps
- Recording medium: Two CompactFlash (Type I or Type II) & MicroDrive card slots
- Focus modes: Single-servo AF (S), Continuous-servo AF (C), Manual
- Focus areas: 51-area Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX
- Exposure modes: Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], Manual [M]
- Exposure metering: TTL full aperture exposure metering system
- Metering modes: 1,005-pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Variable Center-Weighted, Spot AF
- Shutter: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
- Shutter speed range: 30 to 1/8000 second and bulb
- Continuous shooting: 5 frame/s (7 frame/s in DX crop mode)
Viewfinder: Optical-type fixed eye-level pentaprism
- White balance: Auto, Presets (5), Manual, and Color temperature in kelvins
- WB bracketing: 2 to 9 frames, 10,20,30 MIRED steps
- LCD screen: 3-inch diagonal, 307,000 pixels (920,000 dots), TFT VGA
- Battery: Li-ion EN-EL4a
- Optional battery packs: EH-6 AC Adapter
- Weight: 1,220 g (2.69 lb)