Find answers to problems with your EOS A2 on our Canon EOS A2 Troubleshooting Page
Identification and Background ¶
Released in November of 1992, the Canon EOS A2 (also known as the EOS 5 and EOS A2E ) is a 35mm autofocus, and autoexposure SLR film camera. The camera was created for the above average user, but was also found adequate for professionals. In a world becoming increasingly dominated by digital cameras, the Canon EOS A2 remained the top choice for those wishing to remain on standard film during its time.
Technical Specs ¶
Camera Type ¶
- 35mm focal-plane shutter multi-mode AF SLR camera
Lens Mount ¶
- EF Mount
- EF 28-105mm f
Picture Size ¶
- 24x36 mm
- Fixed eye-level pentaprism
- 0.73x magnification, 92% vertical coverage, 94% horizontal coverage
- 5 superimposed focusing points
- Vertical-travel, focal-plane electronic shutter
- 30 sec. - 1/8000 sec
- Built in self timer.
Auto Focus System ¶
- TTL phase detection
- Five focusing points selectable by Eye Control, dial operation, or by the camera.
- Five horizontal autofocus sensors
- 6v 2CR5 Lithium Ion Battery
- Optional Power Source: BP-5 External Power pack, uses 4 x D size NiCd cells.
- 154 x 121 x 74 mm
- 675 g
Film Loading and Rewind ¶
- Automatic film advance with built-in motor.
- Fully automatic rewind with built-in motor.
Built In Flash ¶
- Manual/auto retractable head
- Red-eye reduction lamp
- Flashes automatically in low light and backlight conditions
Quick Control Dial ¶
- Dial on top of camera allows for quick selection of different modes
- Controls Auto Exposure, flash, and ability to put camera in manual mode