My microwave just stopped. The outlet is getting power. No light?
It is a Kenmore model 721.89941490. Above range style. I am wondering if it can be a fuse. We have had no problems until now.
These things will kill you. I don't recommend trying to fix it. I wouldn't even try to fix my own. Either get a new one (they're relatively cheap now) or call a serviceman. Your fuse has probably blown out but there's a reason it did so please don't mess with it.
Absolutely agree. That stuff you don't want to mess with.
Thank you. I think you offered the best advice of all. I do know enough about electricity not to touch anything I don't understand. I'll simply heat foods and coffee the old fashioned way - on the stove or in the oven - until I save up for a new microwave.
go to back inside where the cord meets from inside to out. There inside next to relay will be a ceramic fuse. Most likely that's your culprit if it just doesn't show any power going to it
Although I agree with not touching anything inside the unit a fuse replacement is an easy fix. on most microwaves all you do is remove the cabinet and you should see the fuse in the open. use a fuse removal tool and replace it with the same voltage and amp fuse. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!! The capacitor inside the has enough voltage up to 300 volts to deliver a good zap. The magnatron from what I understand will kill you.
Don’t let all the sissy’s scare you, No capacitor in the world has enough volts to kill you. To start off volts do not kill you amperage does.. and if you are really dumb enough to touch wire connections than natural selection has taken its course… but test the outlet for power should have between 110-120 volts if not google how to change a outlet not hard. If you have power at the outlet it’s more than likely a fuse depending on your microwave there are Manuals witch will literally walk you through changing the fuse out normally 4-6 screws off the back to expose the fuse. Google will be your best friend.
The voltage stored in the HV capacitor of a microwave oven is in the range of 4KV- 6KV DC.
This amount of voltage can seriously injure you or even kill you if you have a heart condition.
The HV capacitor needs to be correctly discharged before any work is done inside the oven
Without even touching the wires, try discharging the capacitor using an inappropriate tool e.g. a small screwdriver and check what it can do to it. Be careful as the resultant flash can be blinding and the tip of the screwdriver has either melted or been welded to the capacitor.
I realize that a screwdriver is more conductive than the human body but using Ohm's law with a screwdriver having a resistance value of even 10 Ohms will give a current flow of 400A-600A if only for a second or two depending on the discharge TC (time constant) value of the capacitor (TC in seconds = C µF x R Ohms) and that is long enough
Here's a link that shows how the body can be affected by an electric current.
It is difficult to give an exact answer from your question since more information is needed. To narrow the fault down a technician will make a number of observations and tests. You have made a start but here are a few more:
I unplugged mine let it sit 10 min plug it back in and in3 min it lit up and is fine. Kinda like when your dish or cable goes down. It need a reboot
Did not have sparks or any blown fuses.
There wouldn't be a so called spark from a blown fuse because it's a ceramic fuse which would just break.
I would bet the number of non-qualified people that have repaired or attempted to repair their microwave is easily in the tens if thousands. Yet I have never heard of a single death. Relax people.
Microwave working but not heating: Most likely the magnetron is bad. I wouldn't recommend replacing this part unless you actually know what a capacitor is and how to discharge one.
No power at all: Most likely the internal fuse. As previously mentioned above, follow the power cord into circuit board. Check ceramic fuse with an ohm meter if possible or just replace it. Replace it with the EXACT SAME fuse that you took out. It is possible that it took a surge and blew. It is perfectly safe to replace.
Internet search for your make and model, there are a lot of parts, schematics and diagrams available. Obviously buy from a reputable retailer.
NEVER EVER run a microwave without all the covers in place. The covers can possibly be shielded and that is what prevents actual microwaves from escaping into you, your family, friends and your pets.
So honestly, if my microwave had a blown fuse and I trashed it for a new one I would feel like I traded in my car because the battery was dead. We all need to minimize our disposable habits. Stay safe and use common sense.
Have this unit and has been a good unit till last night. I can turn the unit on, all lights work, fan seems to be working, but it is sounding very strange. Last night sparks started flying out of the side vents. Upon opening the unit, you could smell something was burning. Obvously it is not working. I assume it is either the magnitron or the transformer. Is there any way to tell? It looks like I can replace both parts for about $120 or I can purchase a similar unit for $350. The problem is the new units are larger and will require some modification of the space in the kitchen. Should I:
A). Take it to a service repari shop and see what they would charge to fix it?
B). Order the parts and replace them myself, but from reading above that looks dangerous
C). Throw the damed thing away and cut my losses?
Everything works in my microwave except not able to heat anything.What is recommendation
wotrubadick, if you see this (which you probably wont) Get a new microwave.
wotrubadick, if you are a technician check the HV fuse, HV cap, and check for shorts from magnetron filament to ground. If you are not a technician take it to to a business or a technician for repair.
Cameron, the idea here is to fix things rather than to discard them.
He asked THREE questions and Cameron told him one. The idea is to do what's best Einstein
Let me know the outcome please..
THe microwave is emitting heat but nothing is on
I did the same thing put potatoes stop working
We have brand new Kenmore microwave. It works fine for almost 1.5 years and now we cant use it. The light and vent are working but we hit start button to heat food, power goes off. Tried it several times, and our panel break goes off. What should we do?
If you have familiarity with repairing electrical products you could attempt a repair. If you don't then take it in for repair. The fault could be caused by a number of components namely a door switch, HV capacitor, or transformer/inverter.
my microwave went dead nothing works not even the light any suggestions
unit goes on...all functions work but after about 4 seconds downshifts to slow as its barely running for several seconds then cuts out...just like a car down shifting from high gear to low gear reducing speed
过去 24 小时： 17
过去 7 天： 136
过去 30 天： 476
It has no power to the clock, or power pad.
由 Bonnie Hammack 完成的
I just bought my oster microwave and there is no power what so ever.
Can anyone help me solve
由 kimnrhoades 完成的
kimnrhoades, in order to help you solve the problem it would be best to give more information. Is it new? Is it second hand? Have you checked to see if there is power to the sock that you have the microwave plugged into?
由 Alan Liefting 完成的
What could be the fault if microwave keep cutting off fuse immediately it pick?
由 Festus Aligah 完成的
I have a kitchen aid under Cabinet microwave and replaced all 3 bulbs it was working before I did so but as soon as I placed the one inside and plugged it back in and as soon as I opened it there's nothing it's like a fuse blew,is that possible
由 Heather Wickham 完成的