The most popular upgrades fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Feature upgrades add capabilities to your PC, such as DVD burning, video capture, or wireless networking.
- Reliability upgrades are targeted at reducing the likelihood, frequency, and severity of hardware failures.
- Performance upgrades speed up your system.
- Quiet upgrades reduce the noise level of your system.
- Convenience upgrades make it easier to do things you want to do.
- Data safety upgrades reduce the likelihood that your bdata will be corrupted or lost.
Table 1-1 lists the 20 most popular PC upgrades by type, cost, and difficulty, ordered from least to most expensive.
Table 1-1: The top 20 upgrades
The actual cost of an upgrade obviously varies by the specific component you choose, but we've provided approximate ranges, as follows: