Olympus E-PL1 Troubleshooting
Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera.
- Cannot take, edit, or delete photos on a SD Card
- Camera has a very slow auto-focus.
- Camera Freezes When I Take a Picture or Refuses to Take a Picture
- Camera Turns Itself Off and LCD Screen Turns Black
- Device Page
Cannot take, edit, or delete photos on a SD Card ¶
Switch on SD Card ¶
SC Cards have a switch on the side that can lock the card.
Make sure that this switch is not in the "Locked" position.
Reset Camera ¶
Remove the battery and keep it removed for 8 hrs.
Software Protection Enabled ¶
Follow the "Canceling all protections" section of the Owner's Manual, Pg. 66
SD Card Formatted improperly ¶
Reformatting the Card in another camera or computer may fix the issue.
There may be corrupt files on the card which are causing issues with the camera.
Owner's Manual Pg. 95
Camera has a very slow auto-focus. ¶
This issue could be caused by having out of date firmware or the size of the default auto-focus box is to large.
Reducing the size of the auto-focus box. ¶
1. From the normal shooting screen, press the "zoom" button.
2. Press the "info" button once. 7x will be displayed in the bottom left corner.
3. Press the "up" button once, 10x will be in the bottom left corner and the auto-focus box gets smaller, press again you get 14x the auto focus box gets smaller.
4. Press "ok" once, now you can move the box around using the keypad.
After the camera powers down the auto-focus box will return to normal size, press the zoom button to use the small box again.
Update the Firmware ¶
Before Updating ¶
1. Scroll through the camera's menu, and select the firmware option.
2. Check the firmware version. If it is not 1.3, then it should be updated.
1. Plug in a newly charged battery.
2. Remove the SD card.
3. Click here
4. Download the Olympus Digital Camera Updater, and follow the instruction that come with the download.
Camera Freezes When I Take a Picture or Refuses to Take a Picture ¶
Check the battery, reset the camera, and make sure that the shutter is
not stuck. If the shutter is stuck, clean it and apply lubrication.
Camera Turns Itself Off and LCD Screen Turns Black ¶
This issue most commonly happens after a sharp impact such as a drop. The most common causes are an out of alignment shutter, stuck shutter, broken shutter pin, or a faulty main board.