Tail light Bulb
Background and Identification
The BMW 5 Series is an executive car (a.k.a. full-size car) produced since 1972. After many models and design changes in the intervening years, the fifth generation 5 Series was released in 2003. The fifth generation introduced new features to the car including active steering, a heads-up display which shows the speed on the lower windshield, and the iDrive entertainment system. This generation ran until 2010, after which the BMW introduced a new design for the 5 Series.
The external design of the fifth generation 5 Series was somewhat controversial for fans of previous models. BMW released both a sedan-style body (labelled the “E60”) and a larger style with a rear door instead of a trunk (labelled the “Touring” or the “E61”). BMW added the iDrive control system to the console of the car, making it the primary hub for controlling audio, climate, and communication. The fifth generation was the first revision of the 5 Series which did not have the console oriented toward the driver. This change was reverted in subsequent models.
You can identify this car by looking on the outside for the blue and white BMW logo. The model number shown on the rear door (or trunk) of the car is the model number, which you can use with this Wikipedia table for more information about the car’s engine. For exact details on your car, you can find the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) written on the registration and use a VIN decoder on those digits. You can also find the VIN on the driver’s side door jam or on the dashboard just below the windshield (look through the windshield from the outside) if you don’t have the registration.
- 4 doors (E60 sedan)
- 5 doors (E61 wagon)
- Rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- 2.0 liter I4 gasoline or diesel engine
- 2.2 to 3.0 liter I6 gasoline or diesel engine
- 3.0 liter I6 turbo gasoline engine
- 4.0 to 4.8 liter V8 gasoline engine
- 5.0 liter V10 gasoline engine
- 6-speed manual transmission
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- 7-speed automatic transmission (M5 model)
- Length: 4,843 mm (113.8 inches)
- Width: 1,850 mm (73 inches)
- Height: 1,470 to 1,491 mm (57.9 to 58.7 inches)