Why does my 18 volt brushless trimmer shut down after 10 min run time
ryobi p2009 trimmer 18v shuts down after 10 minutes with full charge..Is there a heat switch that goes bad or what ?
Mine does the same thing it’s the motor overheating there is a temperature sensor that you will need to by pass to avoid this issue
Here's the fix guys :
The motor driver power supply inside is overheating and will shut down until it cools to a lower temperature. I installed a small computer fan inside (1.5" square) and directed the air flow over the motor driver heat-sink and eliminated the shutting down problem. Now I can run continuous, I can swap batteries all day and it does not stop.
Mine does too, installed another fully charge battery and still doesn’t work. Think it might be overheating.
After reading this post - I decided to add two 24volt DC fans.
My goal was to do limited alterations to device, so I may return this after the mowing season for repair. Its brand new and overheated within one hour of use! The unit has a ton of power comparable to my gas Husqvarna.
Here are some pics of my solution.
I cant really give you a detailed parts list as I used items I had in my shop.
I soldered the wires to the (- +) tabs (internally) that come in contact with the 18 volt battery. Then ran the wires out of a vent slot. Used two wire ties to go through vents to secure to the tool with out need to screw into tool. Tool has not overheated since . An alternative to using the rocker switch is to add a Micro Limit Switch Long Hinge inside to start fan when the safety lever is depressed on Ryobi (there is room for a small switch)
BTW I see they have discontinued the unit Homedepot String trimmer
Maybe is the battery out of life....
Same problem, observed on first use after purchase. With speed set to low, stalling begins after about 10 to 15 minutes. The 4Ah battery still has three bars. The string head metal housing is warm to the touch. Letting it cool for at 30 seconds allows the trimmer to restart, but then it stalls repeatedly
Mine does the same I kept charging my batteries but batteries are good cause I use them on my drills saws radio and they all work just fine so I know it's not batteries mine only works for about 2-3 min and stops I take the battery off and right away put it back in and seems to work for a little bit a few seconds if I let go of the trigger before it stops it seems to work a little longer but not much n then have to wait a couple of minutes to use it again it sucks I strongly suggest not to buy one don't have issues with my other tools except this one it blows