No power in laptop, possibly shorted chipset
I open up my laptop quite frequently as I go from new owner to upgrader, gradually replacing the wireless or storage space. On time I got lazy and left the battery plugged in while I went in and poked around. Now the laptop won't turn on.
PROBLEM: Laptop does not power on, unresponsive in general.
CAUSED BY (?): I might have shorted out a component by leaving the battery in while tinkering.
OTHER INFO: The charging light comes on when plugged into the wall adapter, but if on battery mode no lights come on when the power button is depressed (no light codes to read)
POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS: I replaced the power button which unsurprisingly did not work. Before purchasing any more components I need to isolate the issue. I need to use some multimeter tricks to identify the full damage to my components before continuing.
REQUESTING: A helpful tip, guide, link to an existing guide resource, etc. for how to correctly use a multimeter to indetify dead components, how to visually ID dead circuit components, etc.
Thank you for any response!