iPad will not charge unless it is tuned off
Disclamers: I use the larger original usb plug to charge (not a small iphone brick or my laptop). And a car adapter that is rated for iPad. There is no water damage. It was dropped a long time ago but has worked without problem before and since.
Today my iPad (2nd Gen) stopped charging when I plugged it in. Nor is it recognised by iTunes when I plug it into my macbook pro. Here are the steps I've taken.
1. Turned it off and on like this:
-"Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.
-Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears."
2. Then I reset it like this (multiple times):
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
3. Turned it off and plugged in the cord and it came on. Confirming that the cable is recognised by the device (hardware anyway). But when the lock screen appeared there was no lightening bolt in the battery confirming that it was not charging.
4. Plugged in and turned it off and left it for a while. When I turned it back on by holding the Sleep/Wake button I had 5% more charge than when I started. I did the same thing last night (all night) and got it up to an 80% charge.
5. This morning I did all of the above again with no luck so I went into Settings-> General-> Reset and "Reset All Settings" when it restarted it still did not show it was charging. So I did a reset again. No help.
6. I then went back and did an "Erase All Content and Settings." with the same result.
So now, for all my troubleshooting effort I have an iPad with no info on it and no way to sync it.
Can anyone see something else that I might try?
Also i just changed the charging port.