How come my iMac keeps shutting down after these tries to fix?
I have a 3-year old iMac 24-inch aluminum and some time ago, while i was Skyping with my girlfriend, he just shut down like the power cable was pulled out of it.
After this I turned on my iMac again and it kept shutting down without any warning.
Have been searching the internet many times about how to fix this and this is what I've done by now:
- Booting in OS X from external HDD (verifying if it was HD related)
- Removed the internal HD and booted from the external one
- Replaced RAM with brand new ones
- SMC reset, PRAM reset, VRAM..
- Several Apple Hardware Tests, short and extended for several hours (no problems found). Note that the iMac NEVER shut down while performing these tests.
- Full clean install on the internal HDD itself
- Performed Repair Disk and Disk Permissions
- Created new user, logged in with that account (no luck either)
- Checked the Power Cord for any damage AND switched to other wall sockets
- Installed smcFanControl and turned the fans to full speed so it got cool enough (still shutting down)
- Installed SystemLoad and performed those tests while monitoring the temperature with TemperatureMonitor.
- Dismantled the iMac (since I'm out of warranty), cleaned out the fans, vent from CPU. Pulled out the PSU to check if something was burned through.
- Checked the diagnostic LED's on the logic board.
> LED #1 is on when iMac is off;
> LED #1, #2, #3, #4 are on when the iMac is on.
All of these things did NOT fix the problem! I'm out of desperate tries and as a university student, i don't have enough money left to buy a new one nor, because I'm out of warranty, fix it due to the high costs.
Hi there! Unfortunately the iMac is still not repaired. I have completely dismantled the iMac and replaced the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU but still no luck.
I notice that the display gets really hot on the top left corner after 5Mins. while the iMac is in stand-by. I don't have to open any programs or what so ever to make it hot after 5mins. .. while the iMac is up and running, all 4 LED lights are on but i get an image, i can just work on the imac without problem until it just turns itself off.
So i don't know which comment to follow, is it a temperature problem or something else? No idea...