Does your JBL Flip 4 no longer turn on or show any signs of life? JBL Flip 4 speakers are susceptible to a range of problems that can prevent the speaker from turning on. Check the following possible causes to identify and solve the problem.
Cause 1: Device Is Powered Off
First, try turning your JBL Flip 4 on by pressing the power button on the top of the device. The lights on the front of the speaker should turn on when the speaker is turned on.
Cause 2: Battery Is Not Charged
If the JBL Flip 4 speaker is not charged, it will not turn on. Plug your speaker into a power outlet using its charging cable. Make sure that the front lights turn on, indicating that the speaker is charging. If the lights do not turn on, the JBL Flip 4 may have a faulty battery, or you may be using a faulty charging cable. Try plugging in the speaker using a different charging cord. If the speaker still refuses to charge, use the JBL Flip 4 Battery Replacement Guide to replace the speaker’s faulty battery.
Cause 3: Programming(?) mode enabled by mistake
The speaker may be in a strange (programming?) mode entered by mistake. Even power cycling the speaker by removing the battery doesn’t exit this mode.
- it will only turn on by attaching power, and it immediately turns off when removing power, making the power and power off sounds
- none of the buttons do anything, if not showing the current power level
- charging works
- audio via jack port works, when powered
How to fix it:
- attach power and disconnect immediately: the speaker should stay on
- press “JBL connect” and “Volume Up” together for ~5 seconds
The speaker should reset and then work normally.
Cause 4: Bluetooth Is Not Connected
If your speaker is not paired with another device via Bluetooth, the speaker may not show any signs of life. Disconnect your device and speaker from Bluetooth and try to reconnect them both. Once your device and speaker are paired, check to make sure that the volume is turned up on your device and the speaker. If you are unable to connect to Bluetooth, try restarting the speaker. Then, pair with Bluetooth as usual.
If your speaker still does not connect to Bluetooth, you may need to reset the speaker. Turn on the device and press and hold the “volume up” and “play/pause” buttons simultaneously until the power button glows.
Cause 5: Damaged Charging Port
If the micro USB charging port is deformed or loose, it may not be able to connect with the charging cable well enough to charge effectively. Refer to the JBL Flip 4 USB Port Replacement Guide to replace a damaged charging port.
Cause 6: Faulty Battery
If the speaker works when it is plugged in, but does not work when it is not plugged in, the speaker may have a faulty battery. To replace the battery, please refer to the JBL Flip 4 Battery Replacement Guide.
Cause 7: Faulty Circuit Board
If previous solutions did not work, the issue may be a faulty circuit board. Accessing the main circuit board, however, requires the destruction of parts of the speaker.
Questions other people have asked about this
- My JBL Flip 4 doesn't turn on and charge.
- Not charging or turning on
- My JBL won't turn on and shows no lights
- JBL wont't turn on and takes no charge after failed to update firmware
- My speaker won’t turn on at all
- My JBL Flip 5 does not turn on?
- Speaker damaged. It will only turn on if it's charging.
- My JBL Flip 4 charges but won't turn on
- Why does my JBL Flip 4 keep turning off when it has battery
- So my JBL Flip 4 won't power on
- JBL Flip 4 is not powering on when not plugged in