I too found that fishing line, specifically 10 lb test Fireline braid fishing line, is an excellent alternative to floss or wire due to its strength and small diameter. I tied washers on each end using a Palomar note to provide a secure grip.
If you are following this guide to upgrade to a better drive and want to keep your system and data intact I highly recommend first following the guide to Clone an Existing Drive using the recommended free SuperDuper!. That process was a breeze and gives you confidence that the new drive will come up looking exactly the way it did when you started.
I just replaced the original hard drive on my mid 2012 MBP with a Crucial SSD from iFixit and am amazed at the new zip this has giving it! I first upgraded the RAM from 8 to 16 GB and that helped the speed but nothing like this new SSD, I found everything in this guide to be accurate for my computer. I did take the course of first cloning my original drive onto the SSD using the recommended SuperDuper! software, following the guide for that, and highly recommend taking that route.
My replacement battery came with a clear protective film that should be removed before installation. Be sure not to overlook the film on the bottom of the battery as it covers only a portion of that side and might be easy to overlook.
Do not over-tighten the bolts holding the battery in place. One of the tabs on the original battery was broken, presumably due to over-tightening.
Don't get in a hurry with the ribbon. Heat and a gradual constant pressure did the trick.
I too used a hair dryer and slow pressure as did Peter. I found that the adhesive would slowly release if I just held a little constant pressure with my finger and waited.
Thank you all for this guide and for the valuable insights in the comments. I think this guide could be improved to make it more clear and to incorporate some of the options provided by others. The old adhesive strips broke off part way out so I retired to a combination of heat, dental floss, spudger and card to get the battery out. That was really the only significant difficulty. I think the time listed for completing this project is very optimistic unless you have already done this previously. Frankly it took me 40 minutes to study all of the steps and comments!!
Update. after accidentally pulling the red wire out of the left speaker connector I repaired it by reinserting it into the connector and repairing the back of the connector with a very tiny amount of JB Weld adhesive.
On my late 2007 A1181 2.2 G Santa Rosa machine all three screws are 7.5 mm PH00. There is no black plastic spacer as mentioned in the first comment.
Even with a spudger I had a hard time getting this little connector loose. I ended up popping the red wire out of the connector. I hope I can repair it
1 / 2 页