Great guide. Now I can play my great library of Wii games again. My one trouble spot was step 6, which took me about 40 minutes to end up doing wrong. My Wii now works great again. The only thing is that when I put a Gamecube disk in, there is a loud, clicking noise that doesn't stop. It still plays, but I'm just going to stick to playing Wii games on my Wii. I still can't believe I had to wait a month for my tri-wing screwdriver to be imported from Asia (thanks Amazon).
This was the hardest part for me. I tried using my fingernails, two different tweezers, and needle nose pliers, but I ended up cutting both the wires. Anyway, I put some electric tape over the exposed wires and just reassembled the system. Funny thing is that the LED still works and I have not noticed any difference. I'm not sure what those wires did, but they seem to not be important.