We learned that the Mac mini can handle two internal hard drives if you remove the optical drive! We wrote instructions for swapping out the optical drive for a second hard drive, and posted instructions for doing the Mac mini dual hard drive upgrade.
Our step-by-step guide shows how to:
- Swap out the existing hard drive for a 500 GB drive.
- Remove the optical drive and install another new 500 GB drive in its place.
- Enable Remote Disc to share the optical drive of a nearby Mac or PC.
Swapping in a second hard drive for the optical drive is pretty easy. We put a kit together that includes everything you need. (Almost– some basic soldering is required to connect the power cables.) The kit is just $249.95.
Our terabyte Mac mini hard drive upgrade kit includes:
- Two 500 GB, 5400 RPM 2.5″ SATA hard drives
- 15 pin SATA power to 4 pin power cable
- 6 pin SATA power and 7 pin SATA data to 4 pin power and 7 pin SATA data cable
- Putty knife
- #0 Phillips screwdriver
- Step-by-step instructions online
This kit is available immediately. Now go max out your mini!