Site Reliability Engineering Intern
We're looking for a part-time Site Reliability Engineer at our San Luis Obispo location. You'll be responsible for keeping iFixit.com and our enterprise-focused SaaS, Dozuki, fast, available, and secure.
On any given day, you might find yourself:
- Bringing up and swapping out parts of our infrastructure.
- Advising our Software Engineers on design decisions.
- Investigating and responding to responsible disclosure reports.
- Finding and fixing unperformant requests.
- Writing automation tools for creating and maintaining our infrastructure.
- Investigative debugging to determine the sources of anomalies and failures.
- Working with open-source projects to get patches accepted upstream.
While we work with a wide variety of technologies, we value your ability to learn more than prior experience. The only requirements you must posses are:
- General Linux command-line chops
- Familiarity with a scripting language (Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.)
- A strong understanding of web architecture and networking principles
- An intense desire for consistency
Like open source? Great - so do we.
iFixit is written primarily in PHP, backed by MySQL and served by Apache httpd, Varnish, and HAProxy, with metrics stored in Graphite, and all running on Fedora Linux Amazon EC2 instances. Experience with any of these technologies is a plus.
Additionally, any candidates with experience managing a web property with at least 5 million monthly uniques or experience providing services for enterprise or government will receive special consideration.
Working for a small company on a tight-knit team is a chance to manifest your creativity in a way that will make a big difference in the final product. This will be a challenging job - we are regularly Reddit-frontpaged and featured in other high-circulation media. If you want to work your butt off and make incredible software with us, please apply.
To apply, upload a PDF of your resume as well as a short cover letter explaining two things: why you're badass, and why you're the ideal candidate for this job.