WIPE DOWN THE CASE
For maintaining your laptop case you will need a household sponge, dishwashing detergent, water, lint-free cloth, and cotton swabs. Gather them together and follow these steps:
- Turn off the laptop.
- Unplug the laptop.
- Remember electrical current and liquid really don’t mix.
- Mix the cleaning liquid.
- One part dishwashing detergent with five parts water.
- Soak the sponge in the cleaning liquid.
- Wring out the sponge until it’s dry.
- Gently wipe down the laptop’s case.
- The laptop case is the outside. We’ll get to the keyboard and screen later. You can use the sponge and swabs to clean the touch pad though.
- Use the swab to get the nooks and crannies.
- You can use the standard Q-tip, but medical swabs are better made and wrapped a little tighter. Medical swabs can be found at any pharmacy.
- Do not insert the swab into any ports, jacks, or holes on the laptop.
- Finish the job by wiping the case again with the lint-free cloth.
- Use the cloth to sop up any excess moisture.
- Never spill any liquid inside the laptop!
- Isopropyl, or “rubbing,” alcohol makes a good cleaning liquid. Do not use it to clean the monitor.
- Avoid using any detergent that contains strong chemicals, such as ammonia or bleach.
- WASH THE SCREEN
- Use a lint-free cloth to dry-clean the screen. All laptops use LCD monitors. These monitors are very fussy about liquids. A lint-free cloth gets the dust off and removes finger smudges.
- Use a damp sponge to wipe the screen. Use only water to make the sponge damp. Wring out all the moisture from the sponge before you wipe the screen. Rub gently, lovingly.
- Get an LCD monitor cleaning kit. By getting a cleaning kit, perhaps the best option, you receive a lint-free cloth as well as a package containing a damp towelette moistened with the official LCD monitor-cleaning solution.
- Turn off and unplug the laptop, before cleaning the monitor. After the screen is clean, let it dry before you close the lid or use the laptop again.
- Never use alcohol or ammonia cleaners on an LCD screen. They can damage the LCD display so that the image becomes unreadable. Further, if you have a Tablet PC, the screen’s ability to detect input is greatly diminished by the use of harsh chemicals.
Insert wisdom here.