Hello everyone, my extensive experience is as follows.
TL;DR I really truly hope this helps folks not freak out if they drop their precious phone into the water. It’s the spilling of coffee or lemonade ( sugared liquids ) that can, and will, severely damage non-shielded wiring inside consumer electronics. For water, use rice or low-humidity + high-heat to dry the device fully once batteries are removed. Otherwise, Rubbing Alcohol + air dry with buttons down.
1) Almost all water and / or soap & water mixture only is safe for almost all home and general office electronics.
Resolution 1) Remove the batteries first and foremost. Leaving the batteries in could possibly short the entire device out. Rice is the most natural way to extract moisture from devices. However, any very low-moisture + high relative heat will also yield the same result.
2) Caustic liquids( orange, cranberry & lime juices; some cleaners, bleach ) or liquids containing any amount of sugar ( high-fructose corn syrup, many coffee additives, retail teas and lemonades, milk ) are capable of rendering boards with non-shielded wiring inert. You may have to consider the device a total loss. This is a sad and sobering event.
Resolution 2) Find a container that is small in diameter, as close to container the device when it is vertically oriented. Fill this container with common Rubbing Alcohol ( Isopropyl Alcohol ) to cover the last buttons when the device is placed upside down, still vertically oriented, into the container. If this is done while the liquid is still a liquid then simply swishing the device around in the container should yield a great result. However, if the liquid has solidified ( or set ) any, then we will need to leave the device in the container with the alcohol for at least half an hour. We may then proceed with swishing in container until the desired result is achieved. Air dry with the device’s buttons facing down over a thin cloth. You may have to shake the device to free any remaining alcohol from hidden crevices inside.
2) Problem: This type of liquid causes instant damage to internal wiring, the type of damage and extent is variable.
2) Problem Symptoms: If the device behaves abnormally, or in an unpredictive manner, I herby stand to sincerely apologies for the state of your device. It is a total loss. There is no way to recover from this, unless you can solder monofilament, amongst other required talents, only some of which I possess. I have had to order several remotes and I have suffered the severe depression of learning that model is no longer produced and no remotes were made once the product was discontinued. This was a crushing blow to my inner peace.