Samsung 840 EVO - can't erase / partition
After installing the Samsung 840 EVO SSD exactly as per the instructions, I booted up the MAC MINI and the drive was visible, but needed formatting to OSX extended (journaled) in order for me to then install OSX on it and then migrate the old HD system and apps to it.
However, when I try formatting the 840, I keep getting a formatting error:
Disk Erase failed with the error:
File system formatter failed.
1. I can see the EVO drive in the MAC's Disk utility app with a sub partition named disk1s2 greyed out.
2. I click on the main drive image - 500.11GB Samsung SSD EVO 500GB Media, I have the option to erase or partition.
3. I try partitioning it into a single partition with the options set to GUID partition table format, I get the above error.
4. The option of re-partitioning the disk1s2 partition is greyed out and not available, only erase for which I get the same error above.
5. The Samsung MAGICIAN utility is'' Windows only''bold text (How dumb!)
6. I do have a PC/windows laptop available, so do I need to go through all the hassle of pulling out the SSD from the MAC MINI and using the Windows only MAGICIAN utility to reformat the drive or is there an easier way?
And even if I do, won't I be just back where I started?