water damaged iPod touch
I recently washed out my iPod. It will power on but nothing else. What can I do?
leave it in the sun for a few days ,turn it off straight away,never try to plug it in the computer this will only fry it.try leaving it a box of rice in the sun(the rice will absorb moisture). pull the ipod apart into pieces to see if any water is actually in your ipod
It sounds like it went through the washing machine, that translates into soapy water, which conducts electricity even more ...a bad thing. It also likely did more damage than say ...just falling into the toilet for one second [common!]. The damage has been done by backwards routing of battery voltage and breaking conduction between internal layers/connectors [soap].
Solution? Christmas is fast approaching... Apple techs can also detect water damage, so warranty coverage may be out, but if you are a pretty girl or know a pretty girl, she/you may be able to sweet talk a nerdy electronics counter person into a swap. That's my best advice other than sending to Apple for repair.
I have dried many similar devices with 97% isopropyl. At the pharmacy you will find two grades, and obviously 97% has way less water than the 70% and will work best for displacing hidden moisture. The problem with your device was the inability immediately remove the battery soonest upon dunkage [water]. More importantly using alcohol to dry electronics is for advanced Technicians only, please read.
[CRITICAL] The liquid isopropyl is highly flammable and the vapor is explosive. Use with adequate ventilation which is not a nearby electrical fan. You MUST be sure to not have the battery [or any source of spark!] installed when using highly flammable 97% isopropyl on any electronic device. Read other warnings on the isopropyl package and read the Material Safety Data Sheet here
Besides burning without a visible flame (am I on fire?) or exploding (Gramma is that you ..but I thought you were dea...?) concentrated alcohol can remove the oils from your skin, resulting in a minimum, painful hangnails [wear nitrile gloves?]. So your DIY necessity should truly be a Risk Assessment. Is it worth it? Feeling confident? Safety first! Music on your iPod is like 28th, according to Maslow's hierarchy of needs